You’ve built your practice and your client base, but something is still missing. If you have not thought about web development for physical therapists, now is the time to do so. Web development will help you capitalize on all of the opportunities out there for your practice. Proper web development will enhance your clients and potential clients online experience with your brand.
There are 3 key aspects to consider to hit the ground running with your web development for physical therapists:
1. Content Management Systems
2. Building For Search
3. Formatting and Navigation
Choosing A Content Management System
You must choose the right platform for your website. Most business owners want as much control as possible over their website. This is causing a upward trend in content management systems (also known as CRMs) such as WordPress and Joomla, which are easy for business owners to learn and manipulate themselves.
· CRMs put the control in your hands after the development process, so you never lose out on the valuable asset you paid for (your website)
· You’ll have the ability to make many simple edits your website without a web developer, saving you both time and money
· Security- the CRM is constantly evolving with bug fixes and updates to keep your site clean, protected and safe for users
· WYSIWYG Editor- Allows you to create your web pages visually without having to understand complex coding
Web Development for Physical Therapy Practices Needs to include Building For Search
Once you have your website up and your CRM in place you need to make the content of your site accessible for your clients. Why put time and money into your website if no one is going to be able to find your content? The ultimate goal of accessibility is to get your content picked up by search engines, which will then deliver it right into the hands of your potential clients.
Getting your content notice by search engines is called Search Engine Optimization (SEO). During this process you:
1. Identify keywords that potential customers would be searching for in relation to your product
2. Optimize the content on your website to reflect these keywords
3. Write new blogs posts frequently and around keywords you want to rank for
4. Utilize your CRM system’s built in SEO function (or install one if it doesn’t have it yet…we recommend the Yoast plugin for WordPress)
5. Make sure that you produce new content consistently
SEO is one of the trickiest parts of web development for your physical therapists practice. If you do not get the desired results going at it on your own, call in someone who specializes in SEO.
Formatting and Navigation
Once you get clients to your website, you need to get them to stay. Proper formatting and navigation accomplish this goal. The potential client on your website needs to be able to find what they are looking for efficiently. Utilize the navigation on your site to help them do so.
Here are some tips to use:
· The formatting and navigation of your site should be clean and clear
· Try to avoid a cluttered feel
· Make sure the most important features and content are what is prominent
· Group like information together
· Pay attention to the functionality of your site
Next time you are browsing the Internet pay attention to how long it takes you to find what you are looking for, and if it impacts your leaving the site. Chances are, your clients will have the same attention span (a short one!) that you would have if they’re asked to deal with a cumbersome website.
You now have an outline to get you started on your way to enhancing your web development for physical therapy practices. For more information on how Farotech can help you reach your goals in the above mentioned categories, request a free consultation!