Predictions for 2018? The Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl… oh and some other cool marketing stuff too.
Yes, we know that the Birds have their hands full with Tom Brady and the Patriots. But when we are looking forward to 2018 there are a lot of other things that we are “pumped” about. (Yes pun intended)
In the search marketing field, you should never get too comfortable with just one approach, regardless of whether you are an SEO expert or a newbie. The one thing constant about website search engine optimization is the fact that methods are always changing, evolving and morphing into something new, or better. Consider all the changes within just the last 12 months in the search marketing industry. It has been a year now since Google said that they are not going to be doing large wholesale Algorithm changes. But that doesn’t mean that they aren’t going turning the dials. Take a look at this resource from Moz that outlines all of the algorithm changes since the year 2000. So do we expect more changes in 2018? You bet your bitmap.
The TOP 5.5 SEO & Inbound Marketing Predictions
1. Content is King, But Promotion is the Kingdom – One of the cornerstones of SEO is a commitment to really great content. However, finding that content has become increasingly harder to do. The days of “Publish and Pray” are over. It is critical that you have a battle-tested approach to content promotion. Statistics say that there is over 5x more content on the web then there was in 2016. That is an ocean of content that you have to compete with. If SEO is your great white hope, then I predict rocks ahead.
2. Video Optimization – Youtube.com has become the second largest search engine, which naturally makes video optimization almost mandatory for website search engine optimization! Millions, if not billions, are paying more attention to video content and Youtube has made video content attractive to be shared on social networking platforms. This is not a new prediction. However, this is the year that if you don’t commit to video optimization that you will be left behind by your competition.
3. Live Broadcasting – Utilizing Live broadcasting such as Youtube Live, Facebook Live and other live broadcasting platforms is worth it’s weight in gold. Because live broadcasting is continuing to be a growing feature on each of the platforms, these major players are rewarding companies who make the investment. The average organic reach of a non-boosted corporate Facebook post is around 3%, however with Live Broadcasting the reach is more like 40%. Big Publishers know this and so should you.
4. Automation – If your company has not initiated a marketing automation or drip marketing system in your marketing then you are missing a massive opportunity. According to Marketo: “91% of the most successful users agree that marketing automation is “very important” to the overall success of their marketing across channels.”
5. Paid Social Media will continue to be the best way to reach a cold unqualified market. – Reaching a new audience when you don’t have a bonafide way to source names and email addresses can be extremely difficult. Buying lists is for chumps. Facebook, Linkedin and others are well aware that you are looking for exposure fast. So they offer that opportunity through their highly sophisticated targeting marketing systems. Take the time to know how “look a-like audiences” work. Trust me, you will thank me.
5.5 Understand the power of outsourcing to Agencies and Vendors – SEO and Inbound Marketing is really hard. And the worst part is that the marketing universe keeps expanding and so do the demands and expectations of your clients. They expect you to be on the first page of Google, Yahoo and Bing. They expect you to be a thought leader and blog consistently. They expect you to have a strong social presence. The list goes on an on. But the one thing that is not changing is that there are still only 24 hours a day. Therefore it is essential to know what you can do and can’t do. Learning an entire industry like SEO on top of your other jobs is a big mistake. Find an agency with a team based approach and maximize your results through delegation.