Our constant focus on marketing means our online marketing tools need to work for us! (not against us)
Let’s face the reality of the quickly evolving digital marketing industry and the concept of working remote; with file sharing and collaboration with co-workers remotely seems complex and extremely difficult. The truth is, though, it is very complex; however, some of our favorite online marketing tools make the work quicker, more efficient and more consistent.
As you may (or may not know) the digital marketing world is full of apps, software, communication platforms, collaborative work boards and hundreds of other tools! The average marketing company cannot (and should not try to) operate without three essential “cloud-based” tools for file sharing and communication. The management of ideas is key to ensuring that the job gets done not matter where you are, who you are or the kind of work you are doing! By using these tools, and knowing how to use them seamlessly, you will launch your marketing company into a whirlwind of updates and progress on projects – saving you headaches and keeping everyone on the same page!
Of course there are a few of my favorite that didn’t make the top 3 list!
It’s impossible to say how many platforms, apps, programs or collaborative tools you should (or shouldn’t) be using as an agency. Speaking from experience, its always good to try new software/apps to determine which can best suit your agencies needs. Below are a few significant platforms that we use internally, which improve productivity, collaboration and communication.
Please note: this list doesn’t include any of the marketing platforms we use for keyword research, competitive research or any marketing based platforms. The list above (and below) includes just the internal tools we use for collaborative and communication-oriented platforms.
Our top 3 online marketing tools!
- Dropbox is a cloud-based, file sharing hard drive. This tool will allow you to sync files, photos, videos and projects saved on your work computer to a mobile device, laptop or home computer. When changes occur to the file/document the new version or saved version automatically updates in Dropbox. You can share entire folders internally and externally with clients who need permission to view those files. The dropbox tool could be our favorite as a marketing agency. The cost is minimal and if you share Dropbox.com with someone or refer them to the program, Dropbox awards you with 1 GB of storage!
- Google Drive is a new home for Google Documents (doc’s) – a place where you can share files, documents, presentations, spreadsheets forms or drawings. The real reason we use this tool is for real-time collaboration. For instance, you can have many individuals working on a spreadsheet at the same time. Organizing the documents in Google Drive is very easy and you can share/edit/allow and adjust the variation of viewing features for any document. 10 years ago this would be any marketing company’s dream, and now it is reality! NOTE: Google Drive documents can be found by filename or even by objects or images within the document! The only criteria: you need to have a Google account to access Google Drive.
- Teamwork is a project management software, centralizing all communication on projects and meetings. As a marketing company, software that centralizes the thousands of emails bouncing back and forth every minute is always an asset! Teamwork gives you the opportunity to track and assign project “milestones,” due dates and even track progress on your cellular device. There’s even a helpful Teamwork app (and a ticket platform as well as a chat function!). Use the calendar to keep track of content marketing milestones and give your clients access. Doing this will eliminate the confusion of communication before, during and after the project has been completed.
NOTE: of the three tools I have mentioned, this is the most expensive, but still reasonable at $150/per month for unlimited projects with 100 users or more and 100GB of storage.
Action Items & Takeaways
- There are no “right” or “wrong” apps, or digital marketing tools for every agency!
- Online marketing tools should benefit you, your team and most importantly your client accounts!
- Never settle, always look for new tools!
- Online marketing tools can get very expensive, very fast, so don’t be afraid of negotiating for a better price!