In a world where immediate access to endless information is the norm, you, as a business owner, need to really go above and beyond to make sure your content is seen. The best way to accomplish that is to produce visual content that will be liked and shared by masses of viewers. You may have heard people talking about having pictures, videos or infographics that “go viral”. That’s exactly what we’re talking about.
Create content so enticing that people just can’t stop themselves from looking at it and then sharing it with their friends.
Any marketers dream should be to put out advertising content that people literally can’t stop talking about.
How to Go Viral: The Steps to Success
1. Utilize Videos and Visual Content- If you look at what has gone viral in the last ten years, you will notice a trend. In general, people are willing to share pictures and videos. These types of content have a distinct advantage over text b/c they immediately catch the eye, don’t require much attention to process and have a “wow factor” that people love. Usually, text just simply isn’t interesting enough to go viral and so a big part of having success in this arena is utilizing these visual content mediums.
2. Stay Trendy- People like what is new – that is just a part of life. If you can link your content to what is currently happening in the world or at least what’s popular at the time, you will see a jump in how effective your campaign is. Stay with the times or else you might just be left behind. (A hint here: follow social media trends carefully…that’s how you’ll know what people are already talking about and getting excited about.)
3. Optimize Titles and Tags- This point goes hand in hand with the previous step. People are already going to be searching for current events, popular styles, or common trends and so you need to meet them where they are. By making sure your title and tags use keywords that match those timely, relevant search terms, you are maximizing your content’s potential of being seen and shared by more people.
4. Be Funny- Now…before you attempt this, if you think you are funny please have someone else affirm that to be true. We are kind of kidding, but kind of not! Not everyone may appreciate or understand your sense of humor! Anyway, the point here is that when people find themselves laughing out loud at anything, they generally want to share it with others. That’s why humor is such a great tool for you in your attempts to go viral. Utilize this to your advantage. Social networks make sharing so easy; all you have to do is be funny.
5. Be Willing to Make Enemies- This is not to say go searching for enemies, but rather don’t back away from something because someone may be offended. Many things go viral simply by creating controversy or stirring up arguments. If you’re ok with the fact that some people may hate, this is one guaranteed way to ensure that everyone will know you. (Hint: we do recommend leaving this option on the back burner until your company is already well-established and a little controversy won’t do permanent damage to your brand.
6. Draw Celebrities- Many people idolize celebrities and love to copy whatever Hollywood does. This means that if an actress raves about a video, all her fans will as well. And if that video happens to be your video, you can simply sit back and watch your content spread every day. Basically, if you can rope in an influential leader, the herd will follow.
7. Start Contests- The desire to win can drive people to participate in things they otherwise would not pay any attention to. So, play off of consumer’s competitiveness. Create a contest, offer a prize and watch people go to the ends of the earth to spread the news. Draw people in and give them motive and your content and your brand will go viral in no time at all!
Going viral can occur through any one or any combination of these steps mentioned above. We can assure you right now that if you are dull, boring or just average, you will fail when it comes to being well-liked and shared online, but if you can create content that is unique and compelling, you’re on the right track! For more information and tips about your marketing strategies in general, we recommend the ebook “A Comprehensive Guide to Internet Marketing,” which is offered below as a FREE gift to you.