What Are Memes?
Technically speaking, the word “meme” is defined by its creator (Richard Dawkins) as a “package of culture.” The word has been around since 1976 and today is usually used to describe the popular video, picture and word trends online. These include things like Twitter hashtags, videos of individuals performing a culturally trending activity (like planking), and photos of recognizable or funny objects that include a clever, witty piece of text.
For our purposes of using memes for marketing it may be helpful to think of a meme as any piece of relatable content that spreads across the internet.
Why Using Memes for Marketing is a Great Idea
Building and maintaining a strong platform for your business on the internet should be a key part of your marketing strategy. Using memes for marketing online is a small but helpful tool in the overall process of marketing to individuals via the internet. There are many reasons why utilizing this tool makes sense:
- Memes are viral. This simply means that memes are pieces of content that easily spread across the internet and will be seen by a large number of people.
- Memes are easy to process. Because people look to the internet to be a source of entertainment, memes are the perfect way to grab someone’s attention and make them smile and laugh, all the while getting a message across about your business. They are also normally fairly small pieces of content that people don’t need to spend a lot of energy or time trying to read or figure out.
- Memes are relevant. Staying relevant in your field is critical, especially for your presence on social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Memes make keeping your products and services up to date with cultural trends easy.
- Memes are easy to make. For not too much time and effort, your business can create valuable, shareable and relevant pieces of content. This kind of cost effective content is what any business should be looking to generate.
As we’ve seen above, using memes for marketing is a worthwhile way to spend some of your business’ marketing budget, energy and time. Here are a few simple tips to keep in mind when creating memes for your business.
1. Make memes appealing to your buyer personas.
Marketing to your particular set of potential clients is always important to keep in mind. Creating memes is no different. Think of things that your buyer personas would find interesting and entertaining.
2. Make a few versions of every meme you create.
The first picture and line of text that pop into your mind may not be the best option for the meme you are wanting to create. Allow yourself some wiggle room and try out several variants of wording before you choose a final draft.
3. Allow others to comment and even criticize the memes you’re working on creating.
This should be part of many of the processes used in marketing. Feedback is usually helpful in bringing about an even better result than you may have originally thought possible.
4. Be creative and have fun!
Using memes for marketing should be an enjoyable process for everyone involved. Those creating, those posting and those viewing.